FDI is, on a broader sense, the international movement of capital for specific investment purposes, when overseas companies or individuals set up or purchase operations in another country. FDI encompasses "mergers and acquisitions, building new facilities, reinvesting profits earned from overseas operations and intra company loans".
According to the World Bank, the benefits of FDI are undoubtedly the following:
- Job creation
- Skill transfer and development
- Technology transfer
- Access to international marketing networks
- Source of external finance
- Balance of payment
- Spillover effect on domestic economy
- Infrastructure development
Furthermore, international investment makes companies achieve growth, leverages economies of scale in domestic markets, and foster results such as a higher production, profitability, job and wealth creation. FDI also exposes national companies to new ideas and practices, and might also involve an increase in export outflows.
Apex-Brasil works in 2 different fronts that involve investment attraction:
- Productive FDI, which comprises new projects, expansions and joint ventures, and
- Venture Capital & Private Equity, to promote investments to Brazilian companies or Brazilian funds.